40 Years of Living Crafts and meeting Monty
Last week I was invited to participate in the 40th Living Crafts show in the ‘Emerging Designer-maker’ tent. The weather was not kind to us and looking out of the window now (it very warm and sunny!) makes me a little sad as we didn’t get much sunshine and heat and I fell everyone would have enjoyed it so much more it the weather had been better.
Nonetheless, I set up on Wednesday: all very quick. I was very lucky that other members of BBH were able to give me hints and tips on what to bring and it was all done in a flash.

Everyday brought a different ‘genre’ of visitors. Thursday seemed to be more the ‘lady who lunches’, Friday the retired couples, Saturday babies and pushchairs and Sunday dogs and their owners. I was able to appeal to the majority of people and enjoyed explaining double plate photopolymer etching – most didn’t know what it was and were remarkably impressed with my printing technique and felt the process was very complicated. I was also able to advertise Bucks Open Studio as well as Boden Press and hope Helen gets a few new students as a result. I even suggested to a lovely retired couple that maybe Mr would like to buy Mrs a session at Helen’s for her next present….well that is how I started and I am forever grateful!
I was also glad that my ‘Ipad’ solar etchings were well received: I even sold the biggest one and made the mistake of giving a discount even before I was asked for one: I am learning!! One of my etchings is also travelling to New Zealand: does that mean I am now an ‘International artist’ or is that stretching it a little…..???
I made some lovely friends in the tent as well as some contacts. I would say that for any of you who graduated in the last three years, it is an idea to apply to the Emerging artist part of Living crafts as if you get selected, you will be given a free space andexposure. I can help with the application process when it comes to it.
I was lucky enough to speak to Monty Don (he used to be a jeweller and seems to be really caring about craft and all things well made) so I feel very blessed I was able to participate and hope to return next year.
If you have any queries or questions regarding the above, do get in touch via my website: www.jeanneliseedelsten.moonfruit.com

No comments:
Post a Comment