Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Always something new to learn

A major fascination which keeps me printing is the endless number of ways artists find to use the simplest tools.
I recently read a great article about tugboat printshop in the USA.
(Uppercase magazine - one of the most inspiring journals around, available from the V&A)
Anyway - the owners described cutting and inking a master woodblock, printing the image on to plastic then transferring the wet ink on to the next block, ready for cutting with perfect registration.
This offset technique might be familiar to some of you and I'm quite sure I could have worked this out as a solution if I was making multiple Lino blocks - I don't as it always seemed so tedious.

It worked a dream with A level student today -thank you Uppercase & Tugboat.
(Both organisations have interesting websites)

First print - pleased & proud!
Rolling over back of plastic to transfer ink from original block
Really clear impression ready to transfer 
Image transferred on to second Lino -
SO easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment