Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Ball Bearing Baren

A new linocut suite


I've been busy working on a small suite of lino prints designed to be displayed individually and as a collage group.


I was having a little difficulty printing the group piece. 

Finally I had the justification I needed to purchase a ball bearing baren.

(T.H. Lawrence )




Used it today for the first time and allowed 3 of my star GCSE students to print their exam pieces 

with it too. 

My colleague also seemed to enjoy using it to print some of her food lino prints. 

She was reluctant to give it back.


Linocuts by Kate Guy 
www.cardabelledesign.com

I have been quite happy using wooden Lino handles, door knobs and occasionally spoons for 25 years.

Three summers ago I took a Japanese woodblock course with Paul Furneux at Edinburgh Printmakers.
(This was a really interesting introduction to an alternative approach to relief printing)
The baren was a joy to use, particularly on delicate papers and complex blocks - also so much less effort!
Does not really work so well on heavy papers.

This is not a cheap tool ( my year 9 class will definitely not be using it) but I'm really pleased with the initial results. If you get a chance have a go. I think you will be surprised by the results.

Douglas


No comments:

Post a Comment